Monday, January 5, 2009

Come Join Us

Okay everybody.... it's a new year. Like the rest of the universe you're probably gearing up for a rigorous program of hard core dieting and back breaking exercise? You're probably stocking up the fridge with tasteless low carb tortillas and sugar free jello or filling your freezer with all varieties of meat for your third attempt at the Atkins diet? Are you excited (or dreading) to start a new and difficult regime that you know, down deep inside, will eventually fail just like every other diet you've tried in the past? I know... you're telling yourself that this one will be different, this year won't be like the others, but what happens when you hear that siren call for cheesecake or it's Junior's birthday and you love white cake with chocolate frosting!

How many of you would like to learn a new way of thinking about and relating to food and to your body so that you will never have to make another New Year's resolution that has anything to do with dieting? How many of you would like to have a healthy and peaceful relationship with the food that must be a part of your everyday life? How many of you would like to look in the mirror, genuinely like what you see, then go to the kitchen, make yourself a delicious lunch, enjoy every mouthful, and walk away from the table satisfied, happy, not feeling any guilt, and not thinking about fat grams, carbs, or calories? How about if you walked away and didn't even think about food again until you hear your stomach growling several hours later? How many of you would like to feel "in control" when it comes to food? How would you like cheesecake to never be off limits, but feel very satisfied after only eating one small piece?

If making peace with your body and food sounds good to you. If you're sick of fighting the battle that starts in your head every morning when you look in the mirror, hate what you see, and then realize that you're craving pancakes with strawberry syrup and whip cream, but you know that if you want to "be good" that day you should have cottage cheese and an apple, than this group, this blog is for you. Join us, and the journey might just change your life.

We'll call this little group our "Intuitive Eating" group because this is what we will be learning to do, eat intuitively. This group will be much like a common book group, but long distance and our discussions will take place via this blog. We will be reading two books together, one chapter in each book per week. There will be discussion questions each week and you can respond, comment, share with others, or not. It's up to you, but it would be good to keep a notebook or journal of your thoughts, ideas etc, as we go along.

If you decide to join the group, let me know by quickly leaving a comment on this post. If you would like to join anonymously you can do that too. I won't be checking to see who is reading this blog. If you decide to join and then feel like it's not for you, feel free to drop out at anytime, but I would strongly encourage you to stick with us through both books before you make your final decision.

Joining the group is free of course, but you must purchase (or borrow from the library) two books. The first is Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works by Evelyn Tribole, M.S., R.D. and Elyse Resch, M.S., R.D., F.A.D.A. The second is Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata. Both books are cheapest through Amazon.com, but I'm sure you could also buy both at Barnes and Noble or Borders. They're great books to add to your shelves permanently.






You have one week to procure your books. We will begin reading and discussing next Monday, January 12th. Get excited ladies (and gents maybe), this is going to be awesome. You're going to learn all kinds of great things and discover so many great things about yourself you never thought possible. Your relationship with food and your body is going to become a lot more peaceful if nothing else. We want as many people to join as possible so spread the word. If you start with this program and think of others who would benefit, tell them too.

10 comments:

  1. I'm in, I'm in, I'm in!! I love "Intuitive Eating", and can't wait to read "Rethinking Thin." If there are any skeptics out there, trust me, join this blog & change your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in too. I am really excited for this. And I want to share a website I found that you may like: www.theshapeofamother.com

    Can't wait for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just sent in my requests for these books to be transfered to my library for me. I look forward to this as I have told myself several times tonight already, "You don't really want to eat that(insert several items of your choice) - you're not even hungry." Thanks, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting Jill! I must admit that I'm a bit skeptical that I'll be able to make peace with body and food, but I'm defintely willing to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to make some major changes and this sounds interesting! I'm in, too!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Count me in. I need all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beck ZoBell here and I am in. I dread the thought of giving up foods that I like- dessert mainly. I'm ready to commit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to do it, sounds like fun, I will try to do it when I can, but I have a lot homework- English 100, Yoga(I hope to take indoor soccer for fun), Interaction- I am half way done with getting my ECE AA degree, Tuffy is doing well nd so is Sammy. I love all of you
    love
    Mels
    good to learn about it

    ReplyDelete
  9. count me in too. sounds interesting and hopeful. thanks!

    ReplyDelete