Monday, February 2, 2009

Intuitive Eating Chapters 6 and 7 - Rethinking Thin Chapter 4

I have a fun cartoon that I think applies very well to chapter 6 which is about honoring hunger. The idea is that if you don't keep you body fed biologically with adequate energy and carbohydrates you can trigger a primal drive to over eat. All you have to do is think about how you feel when it's time to eat after a long fast Sunday and you'll know what I'm talking about. This guy here is so hungry he can't think of anything but food......



Intuitive Eating - Chapter 6

1- When you have dieted in the past did you experience anything similar to the men in the Dr. Ancel Keys study? When you diet do you find yourself more preoccupied with food or less?

2- The authors state that the hunger drive is truly a mind-body connection. Have you experienced the hunger drive with both mind and body. If so, how?

3- How often would you say that you eat in response to the internal cue of gentle hunger and how often do you eat or not eat in response to other internal or external cues such as emotions, time of day, social situations or self imposed rules? Do you eat only when you're ravenously hungry or are you one who stays fed to the point that the feeling of hunger is rare in your life? Maybe you're somewhere in between these two?




Intuitive Eating Chapter 7

1- I'm sure most of us have experienced psychological deprivation and can attest that it's a powerful and real thing. How have you experienced psychological deprivation, even outside of the food arena?

2- Feeling deprived in other areas of your life may lead to heightened feelings of deprivation when dieting or restricting food. Have you experienced this?

3- Have you ever experience anything like the story of Heidi and her chocolate as described on page 76-77?

4- Have you experienced "last supper eating?" If so, how?

5- Refer to the list of subtle forms of rebound eating described on pages 78-79. Do you see behaviors of your own in any of these descriptions? Which ones?

6- Have you ever experienced the see-saw syndrome as described in chapter 7? If so how?

7- When the authors suggest giving yourself unconditional permission to eat, and you imagine yourself doing this, what are your feelings? Do you believe that you would eventually experience food habituation like the authors say that you would?



This week, make a list of foods you enjoy but don't keep around the house, don't allow yourself to eat, or eat, but feel extreme guilt when you do eat them. This list will include foods that you feel you would never stop eating if you gave yourself unconditional permission to do so. If you feel brave enough, go ahead and try an experiment. Pick one food from your list, keep it around, give yourself unconditional permission to eat that food, and see what happens.

Rethinking Thin Chapter 4

1- Dr. Stunkard has proven pretty clearly that being overweight is not a result of psychological issues. Have you blamed any of your weight problems or issues with food on psychological factors? Do you believe there are certain behaviors that separate fat people from skinny people? Do overweight people bring their weight problems on themselves?

2- Carmen mentions in one of his diet classes that he believes the theroy that a person is only as fat as they want to be. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why or why not?

One favor this week..... I find that I'm basically writing the questions and posting the only comments, with the exception of one or two others. If you are still reading with us will you let me know. Just say something like, "I'm still here." I don't expect people to answer any of the questions, but it would be nice to know that I'm not the only group member left. Thanks gals!

13 comments:

  1. I'm here Jill! I'm reading & becoming intuitive! I'll do better at posting, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still her, just slacking on the reading and posting. I'll put the laundry off and get caught up. I love an excuse to procrastinate laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still here. Sorry I hate typos and feel compelled to correct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Jill. I'm still here and ready for more learning opportunities. Here are a few answers to this weeks questions.

    I'm half like Heidi in that I love chocolate! I LOVE Symphony bars with the almonds and toffee chips in them. Around Christmas I consumed in one sitting about 3/4 of the bar. Not wanting my husband to think I was an out of control pig, I finished up the rest of the bar the next day, drove to the store and purchased a new one, putting it in it's place so that he wouldn't know I had eaten the whole bar myself. Wow, that was a weak moment in life. But I enjoyed every single piece I put in my mouth. After a few bites I asked myself," Beck, do you really, really want this?" Then I said with a smile you bet I do and polished it off.

    I've never said to myself Chocolate is evil don't eat it. My problem maybe is- chocolate is probably healthy for you in one way. Go ahead and have some. But maybe not the whole bar.

    I have never thought about Last Supper eating. But I do have this mind frame. 'I'm nursing so I get to eat what I want because the baby needs the calories.' And then I eat any and all things that maybe I shouldn't eat so much of. Cheeseburgers, desserts, more than one piece of toast, etc... And as I'm eating it, I think ' Your totally o.k. to eat this because you GET to. But when your done nursing kiss it goodbye.' Well guess what? I stopped nursing last week and my babe is on formula now. I don't want to "kiss" these delicious things good-bye. I'd rather try to show self control and try eating these things in moderation. HELP!!! What do you think?

    I'm so totally food competition it's not funny. If I see what I want at a table or whatever, I take some, hurry and snarf (literally) it down and run back to see if there's more. If there is more, than I feel like a winner and I breathe a little easier, relax, and of course take more. But at the same time I'm thinking," Who's noticing that this is my second time up to the table?"

    My Robinette grandparents were people who held food in special regard. I remember going over to grandmas one afternoon to find a half eaten piece of toast sitting on top of the toaster. I asked my dad why she didn't just throw it away. " It's just bread." He replied that if you grew up struggling for food in any way, then you hang on to it and the thought of throwing it away was unheard of.

    I don't hang on to food like that, but I do hate throwing away the food that my kids don't finish. I usually end up eating it and tell myself it's o.k. because we are not a wasting family. (Insert my sister Emily laughing here. She knows.)

    Wheww sorry Jill for slacking off but here's a thoughtful Beck for you. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jill -
    I was wondering if you could give some of us a couple of days to catch up? I know, you'd think we could since you give us a week to read - but I know I could use a couple more days to get my thoughts together. If not, carry on - I'll catch up soon enough! Thanks Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky:

    You're an interesting case because you haven't dieted in the past but it sounds like you have plenty of messages from the food police ringing loud and clear in your head. Just goes to show that you don't even have to be a dieter to pick up on all the mixed messages that are out there.

    From your comments it seems you feel lots of guilt when you over eat, even though you don't swear off certain foods. You've got some last supper eating mentality with the nursing thing, and you do not like to waste food.

    The best advice I can give you is for the next few weeks be hyper-aware of all the reasons you eat or don't eat. Don't be judgemental about yourself when you do this, just observe. See how many times and how much you eat for reasons other than hunger. Observe how you feel. Are you eating and feeling guilt, worrying that you won't get enough before it's gone, not wanting to waste, or eating what you want before you have to stop for good? Then ask yourself if these are really good reasons to eat? Is eating for these reasons really helping you take care of yourself?

    The key to eating in moderation is to challenge all these ideas we have in our head and learn to put them in their proper place. Once all these mixed messages are gone we end up eating moderatly and peacefully and not too much.

    Keep reading because I think you'll figure out more as you go along.

    Thanks Beck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily:

    You're in luck because I'm taking the week off this week. I've got to much on my plate this week to do the blog. You'll have time to catch up. We'll start reading again on Feb 16th.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still here too, but behind (guess I'm not the only one). With the week off maybe I'll catch up, then again it is a pretty busy week for me too so maybe not, but I'll try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found this and I'll have to show it to Bryanna. I have a feeling she will love this blog because she believes in these ideas so passionately. You've been warned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope it's okay for me to join in your blog. I struggled with eating disorders for a long time and one of the ways I have recovered is to learn about intuitive eating. So Jon is right-I am very passionate about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah Bryanna, I would love to have you come along with us. I would value your insight so much! Please, please, please join us. I need someone passionate to contribute!

    ReplyDelete